Assistive Technology Pavilion: Interact with Tomorrow’s Technology Today
The assistive technology that innovators have devised to bridge the divide between ability and disability is nothing short of amazing!
At Abilities Expo, we welcome you to visit our Assistive Technology Pavilion, where companies and organizations are featuring the latest AT products for people of all ages with wide ranges of physical, sensory and intellectual disabilities. You or your loved ones will have the unique opportunity to experience how these adaptive technologies can enhance day-to-day life.
This chance to test-drive these cutting-edge devices has been made possible by our AT Showcase sponsor, the Shepherd Center. Ranked in the top 10 rehabilitation hospitals in the country, the Shepherd Center specializes in the treatment, care, research and rehabilitation for people with spinal cord and brain injuries.
At Abilities Expo San Jose, the AT Showcase will feature the following available and emerging technologies for you to experience hands-on:
Shepherd’s Therapeutic Recreation Department
- Sip-and-puff controller for aiming a rifle or crossbow
- Exercise and conditioning equipment, including handcycles
- Videos from the Center’s Adventure Skills Workshops where participants enjoy such adaptive sports as: tubing, jet skiing, water skiing, scuba diving, swimming, fishing, all-terrain vehicles, climbing wall, canoeing/kayaking, marksmanship and water polo
Shepherd’s Assistive Technology Center
- Solutions for controlling electronic devices such as iPods, cell phones and computers
- Devices for controlling the home environment like thermostat, lighting, TV, etc.
Shepherd’s Crawford Research Institute/Rehabilitation Engineering Research Center for Wireless Technologies (Wireless RERC)
- Interactive “Live Bar” where visitors can try out some of the latest accessibility features available on today’s cell phones, tablets and mobile computers
- Demonstration of the upcoming Commercial Mobile Alerting System for receiving public alerts via cell phone
Shepherd’s RESCUE Program
- Community service program that links people with disabilities with their local emergency responders
- Tongue Drive System: Operates power wheelchairs, computers, TV and other devices through slight movements of the tongue
- BrailleTouch: App which lets a user type text easily using the Braille alphabet
NeuroTech Network/Cleveland FES Center
- Implanted Electrode Technology: Surgically planted electrodes that help restore mobility
- Impulse, an EMG (Electromyography)-sensing electrode: Senses tiny muscle contractions and wirelessly transmits the EMG signal to a computer using Bluetooth wireless technology
- Drop Foot Stimulation: Functional Electrical Stimulation (FES) for drop foot syndrome to improve gait
Tools for Life / Touch the Future
- AT specialists will help visitors identify and use assistive technology to help find employment and excel in their jobs
- Demos of fitness equipment to keep the body toned and balanced.
AT Pavilion Exhibiting Companies
Open a door for yourself or the important people in your life with disabilities. The assistive technology products offered by the following exhibitors could help to minimize the challenges that they face.
|Tools for Life||#331|
|Touch the Future||#430|